Robert Maclay is Co-President of the firm, and a member of its Estate Planning, Estate & Trust Administration, Corporate and Tax practice groups, among others. In all areas of his practice, Bob’s clients continually praise him for the personal attention he consistently gives them, touting him as a good listener, responsive to their needs, and capable of managing complex issues.
On the estate planning side of his practice, Bob Maclay works with people who may be facing a very difficult time in their lives and alleviates their personal concerns regarding their children and grandchildren. Whether he is preparing wills, trusts or powers of attorney, his clients are assured that he has their best interests at heart. Bob enjoys the design and the interaction with clients that goes into crafting an estate plan. He is regularly educating clients on what options are available to them, which he can do by understanding their family relationships.
Bob Maclay has a proven track record in handling the corporate and tax planning matters of businesses and non-profits as well. He has many years of experience in negotiating business transactions, including the sale and acquisition of businesses, buy-sell transactions between shareholders, shareholder disputes, executive compensation, deferred compensation agreements, stock options, phantom stock, and other agreements. He also focuses on succession planning for his business clients, and builds trust with multiple generations of business owners who then use him as counsel to the family.
As a supporter of continuing legal education programs, Bob has lectured at a number of establishments in the Washington, D.C. metro area. Several times a year he speaks at the World Bank as part of their Pension Department’s Pre-Retirement Planning Series. He is also a member of The Group - a national dealing with closely held businesses, made up of tax attorneys, CPAs, actuaries and pension administrators. Recently, Bob did an interview for Executive Leaders Radio, where he spoke about his childhood and how his upbringing influenced the leader he is today.
District of Columbia
J.D., Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 1978
B.A., Cum Laude, Harvard University, 1973
Best Lawyers in America - Best Lawyers (2017-2023)
- Trusts and Estates
Best Law Firms – U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- Tier 2 National Ranking for Trusts & Estates
- Tier 1 Metropolitan (D.C. area) Ranking for Trusts & Estates
"Top Attorneys," Bethesda Magazine (2019)
- Paley Rothman Earns National and Local Honors in U.S. News “Best Law Firms” 2023 Rankings
- Paula Calimafde Named 2022 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in the Washington, D.C. Area and 21 Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected to 2021 Best Lawyers in America
- Robert Maclay and Deborah Cohn Give Estate Planning Presentation to World Bank
- Robert Maclay and Deborah Cohn Present Estate Planning Seminar at World Bank
- Robert Maclay and Deborah Cohn Present on Estate Planning
- Deborah Cohn and Robert Maclay Present to World Bank
- Wayne Eig and Robert Maclay Present at MSBA Business Law Section’s “Advanced Business Law Institute”
- Jim Hammerschmidt Named Co-President of Paley Rothman
“The Debt-Equity Regulations Under Section 385 of the Internal Revenue Code,” (Co-Author), Taxation for Lawyers
“The Use of Life Insurance in Estate Planning,” (Co-Author), Taxation for Lawyers
Interviewee, Executive Leaders Radio (October 2016)
Lecturer, The World Bank
Lecturer, Montgomery-Prince George’s Continuing Legal Education Institute
Lecturer, D.C. Bar Association - Georgetown University Estate Planning Programs
Lecturer, Practising Law Institute
Lecturer, Maryland Institute of Continuing Professional Education
Lecturer, D.C. American Institute of CPAs