Hayes Edwards is a Principal in the firm’s Litigation, Appellate and Employment Law practice groups. He helps companies and individuals navigate their legal obstacles and maximize their opportunities. The subject matter of his work ranges from disputes over business and employment relationships to real estate, construction, and probate cases. His clients include real estate developers, consulting firms, contractors, and businesses in the transportation and hospitality industries, among others. Having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state & federal cases, administrative hearings, arbitrations, and mediation, Hayes is able to understand disputes from multiple perspectives and adapt his style to fit the situation.
Hayes enjoys engaging with the facts of every case and learning his clients’ priorities, so they can work collaboratively toward a position of comfort and certainty. Although litigation has its value, he approaches every issue by considering the available resources to craft a successful strategy. Competitive but collegial, he always strives to make himself available to clients and finds great satisfaction in knowing their needs are met.
A native of Montgomery County, Hayes practiced at a boutique law firm in Potomac, Maryland prior to joining Paley Rothman. Hayes graduated magna cum laude from the George Mason University School of Law and earned his bachelor’s degree from Vanderbilt University. He is active in the Montgomery County Bar Association and provides pro bono counseling through the Maryland Women’s Business Center.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law, 2012
B.S, Vanderbilt University, 2006
Best Lawyer: Ones To Watch - Best Lawyers (2021-2023)
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
Best Law Firms – U.S. News & Best Lawyers (2013-2023)
- Tier 2 National Ranking for Litigation - Labor & Employment
- Tier 2 National Ranking for Employment Law - Management
- Tier 1 Metropolitan (D.C. area) Ranking for Litigation - Labor & Employment
- Tier 1 Metropolitan (D.C. area) Ranking for Employment Law - Management
Maryland Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" (2020-2023)
2019 Volunteer of the Year - Maryland Women's Business Center
Washington D.C. Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" (2020)
- 14 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Paley Rothman Earns National and Local Honors in U.S. News “Best Law Firms” 2023 Rankings
- 19 Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected 2023 Best Lawyers ® in America
- 10 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named as Maryland Super Lawyers and Two Attorneys Named as Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Stars for 2022
- Glenn Cooper No. 1, 13 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2021 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Twenty Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected to 2021 Best Lawyers in America
- Glenn Cooper Top 10, 14 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2020 Washington D.C. Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 14 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2020 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Hayes Edwards Honored as Volunteer of the Year by the Maryland Women’s Business Center
- Paley Rothman Welcomes Scott Mirsky and Hayes Edwards to Employment Law and Litigation Practices
Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Chair, Employment Law Section (2019-present)
- Chair, Mentor-Mentee Committee (2018-2019)
- Fellow, Leadership Development Academy (2016-2017)
Maryland Womens' Business Center
- Pro Bono Counselor
"Employment Law Day - Hurdles to Hiring: Changing Laws Are Forcing Employers to Re-Examine Procedures," Paley Rothman, March 2023
“Employment Law Day: Heads Up! New Priorities for Enforcement by Federal Agencies,” Paley Rothman, February 2022
“Employment Law Day - Changes: A New Chapter in Employment Law,” Paley Rothman, February 2021
"Returning Employees to Work as COVID-19 Restrictions Ease," a webinar for the Rockville Chamber of Commerce, May 2020
"COVID-19 Employment Law Q&A," Paley Rothman, March 2020
"Employment Law Day: Employment Deployment - Managing the Realities," Paley Rothman, February 2020
"My siblings and I worked with Hayes Edwards after our father and step-mother passed because of the misinterpretation of their trust by a step-sibling. Hayes walked us through the process, provided the pros and cons for various options, and kept us involved while developing a winning strategy for our case. Also, he was able to work around our lack of technological prowess and made us feel comfortable throughout the process. The trial brief he wrote before our hearing was referred to multiple times by the judge before the Order of Judgment was made in our favor. We hope we will not need to, but we would definitely select Hayes to represent us again."
After obtaining an AAA arbitration award (a) removing trustees who violated fiduciary duties by dissipation of trust assets and (b) awarding a recovery of $800,000 against the removed trustees, the award was reduced to a judicial judgment in the Circuit Court. The judgment was successfully affirmed on appeal in the Court of Special Appeals, including the award of additional judgment interest to the judgment creditor on a cross-appeal.
Represented personal representative of estate on appeal and obtained affirmation of Montgomery County, MD Orphans’ Court judgment upholding the estate’s denial of $150,000 creditor claim for personal services.